Jamie’s Computers is a trading name of the Society of St James (SSJ), and is committed to protecting and respecting your personal data and privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. “Personal Data” is information that might help identify you as an individual, such as your name, address details or bank details.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the GDPR, the data controller is The Society of St James, 125 Albert Road South, Southampton, SO14 3FR.
Data Protection principles
Jamie’s Computers processes personal data in accordance with the following data protection principles:
- Processes personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner;
- Collects personal data only for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes;
- Processes personal data only where it is adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purposes of the processing;
- Keeps accurate personal data and takes all reasonable steps to ensure that inaccurate personal data is rectified or deleted without delay;
- Retains personal data only for the period necessary for the processing;
- Adopts appropriate measures to make sure that personal data is secure and is protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing and from accidental loss, destruction or damage.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We collect and process your personal data from the following sources: (1) data you give us and (2) data we collect about you.
- Data you give us
Most of the personal data we collect is provided freely by you when you complete any forms on our website or when you purchase or donate computer equipment, or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise.
- Data we collect about you
For each of your visits to our website, we will automatically collect the following pieces of data:
- Technical information, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, and operating system and platform; and
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Cookies(see the section about cookies further down)
WHAT PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
The personal data you give us or we collect may include the following:
- Your name
- Your contact details: address, e-mail address, phone number
- Bank account details
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small data file that is downloaded from a website to your computer, to make it easier to use in a number of ways: it may store details that you submit on the site, such as your personal settings, your location, or what you have in a shopping cart, so that you don’t have to enter the information more than once.
Cookies are useful because they help us make your website experience more enjoyable. They allow us to recognise your device (e.g. your laptop or mobile device) so that we can tailor your experience of our website. Cookies do not identify you as an individual, just the device you are using. You can find out more about cookies at http://www.allaboutcookies.org
Cookies do a lot of different jobs and help to give us a better overall picture of how people interact with the site, and how we can improve our services.
What type of cookies we use and their purpose:
Website analysis – SSJ uses Google Analytics to track how people use our website so that we can gain a better understanding of our visitors needs and identify areas for improvement. The information we gather through this process is completely anonymous, and visitors to our site cannot be identified. The following cookies used for this purpose are:
The common cookies can be seen throughout the site are from Google1P_JAR
From cloudflare.com (Home Page)
In addition from doubleclick.net ( About Us Page )
From Youtube.com ( About Us Page )
From www.youtube.com ( About Us Page )
Jamie’s Computers website may occasionally contain links to and from the websites of other companies, our business partners, or advertisers. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy and cookies policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
PURPOSES OF DATA PROCESSING
The data we collect and process serves the following functions: marketing customer service, finance and business intelligence. Each one of these functions entices several purposes of processing data, detailed below:
Marketing – includes email targeting (sending you targeted emails about offers that might interest you). These emails are sent based on your email subscription preferences, if you have unsubscribed from these then you will not receive them.
Customer Service – includes account management (managing your account details, including login credentials, registered preferences or history of purchases); contact and queries (processing any contact or query received by email or phone, or notifying you about a change in our services).
Finance – includes processing payments and credits, as well as preventing fraud.
Business Intelligence – includes data analysis and website analytics, statistical and surveys purposes, as well as research.
Other uses of the data include:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information and products that you request from us;
- As part of our efforts to keep the Jamie’s Computers website safe and secure.
LEGAL BASIS FOR USE OF YOUR DATA
We rely on the following clauses as a legal basis for the collection and processing of your data:
Some of the personal data we collect and process is done with your consent. For example, we rely on consent when we send you a marketing email if your email subscription preferences indicate you are willing to receive such emails. You have the right to withdraw consent at any time. See more information about your rights to withdraw consent further down.
We also process data when it is in our legitimate interest to do so and when this interest is not overridden by your rights as a data subject (see below). Our legitimate interests include
- ensuring that the website is operating effectivity and that you as a user of the website can make use and benefit of all of its services. It also includes ensuring the security and integrity of the website.
- Jamie’s Computers may process and retain your data to comply with any legal and regulatory obligations as follows:
- Information regarding your purchases/repairs on a warranty receipt or invoice is kept up to a period of 3 years for Warranty and Accounting purposes
- Information collated on a Waste Transfer note, Data Destruction certificate issued is kept in line with WEEE regulations set by the Environment Agency
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
Jamie’s Computers may share your data with selected third parties, including business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we may enter into with them or you; analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of the Jamie’s Computer website.
STORING AND PROTECTING YOUR DATA
Your data is securely stored and kept inside the European Economic Area (EEA) using access controls and encrypted passwords. We will regularly review our retention of your personal data and delete any personal data which is not necessary for us to retain.
Jamie’s Computers is registered under the Society of St James with our recycling activities with the ICO (information Commissioners Office)
Jamie’s receives computers, laptops and servers that may contain data, which is carefully deleted. We are not classified as Data Processors, as we only wipe the data off the hard disk and do not read or process any data on the hard disk.
Our skilled Technicians in our secure Purging room, use Blancco 5 software ‘the world most secure data erasure software’ to erase the data, the software then re-scans the hard disk to verify that the data destruction is complete and creates a test report that contains our refurb code, make/model and serial number of that hard disk.
Any Hard drive that cannot be wiped or inoperable is Industrially shredded.
Jamie’s Computers produce a FREE DATA DESTRUCTION CERTIFICATE for your records to show that all data destruction for your assets is complete.
YOUR RIGHTS AS A DATA SUBJECT
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise this right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data by submitting a written request to that effect to firstname.lastname@example.org
Furthermore, if you believe any of the personal data we hold about you is inaccurate, please tell us so we can correct it as necessary.
You have the right to ask us to delete any data we hold about you. If you decide that you would no longer like us to retain your data, we will respond to your request within two working days and your data will be deleted within seven days. Please email email@example.com if you would like us to delete your data.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
If you are unhappy with the way your personal data has been processed by us, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office through their website – www.ico.org.uk